Sunday, October 16, 2011

Dateline: Ashville, NC, 10/16/2011 3:30 PM

Words are not enough to describe the run today. What a blast!

We got to ZMax Dragway around 7:15. The sun was just coming up, and it was around 45 degrees. There were already 50 bikes at the staging area, and the organizers were, well, organized.

Sign-in, gift packet, Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee, then wander around to see the beautiful Iron Horses on display. We stopped by the official Pace Car for pictures.



Kyle showed up, and the press were hot on his heels. He did about three different interviews before getting the ride rolling.

I'm not sure what the total of bikes were there, but as you can see here, there were a lot of them, even an hour before the ride.



Kyle gave us the ride briefing, One of the police officers joining the ride gave us the safety rules, and a prayer was said. The siren blew, and we had 5 minutes to mount up.

One of the failings of the GoPro video camera is the lack of feedback, especially from the rear of the unit. I was certain I turned it on just before starting, but apparently I didn't get the button pressed enough, and I don't have some of the most fantastic video you may ever see. Sorry. I hope tomorrow's ride will be better.

We pulled out around 9:30, and rode up the dragway track. It strikes you as to the amount of rubber embedded in the track from the thousands of dragsters that have roared down the surface. At the end we turned and headed out, down to I-85 Southbound, for about 20 miles to Shelby, where we picked up US74 West. The scenery is beautiful, the trees showing off their fall colors of red and gold. When we got to Lake Lure and the 4-lane became two, the ride got . . . interesting.

As we wound around the lake and then the mountain, we were challenged with hairpin turns, both heading up and down, some of them lasting for 270 degrees! While were doing between 25 and 40 mph, the turns got tighter and more challenging. I found myself leaning over farther than I thought possible, and then straightening and immediately leaning the other way for the next impossible turn. The safety classes we took a few years ago really paid off as we sucessfully traversed the winding course. In the town of Lake Lure, people were everywhere on the sides of the road, waving and cheering us on.

Taking a trike around that course is in some ways tougher than a two-wheeler, in that you can't lean or counter-steer. Instead you have to work against centrifigal force as you push the handlebars to do your bidding. It's real work, and Linda was amazing. When I had a chance to look behind me (and it wasn't very often), she was right behind me, enjoying amost every curve.

Near the end of the curves, there was a tight, left hairpin curve. I took a deep breath, downshifted and counter-steered, pushing the bike over as hard as I could. Suddenly, I heard my foot peg scrape, and my foot bounced up.

I've been told that, when you do that, it's your bike telling you that you've leaned far enough. They weren't kidding! But that doesn't prepare you for the feeling you get when it happens. It was only for a second, then I let up just a bit and finished the curve before exhaling. I heard Linda on the CB, "I didn't like that one at all!" Me neither! It took about an hour before the adreniline stopped pumping.


It wasn't long after that we arrived at Asheville Harley-Davidson in Swannanoa. Gene Lummos was kind enough to open his store for us (he's usually closed on Sundays), and we had barbeque for lunch. Afterwards, there were the raffle drawings. While there were some interesting items on display, our numbers didn't come up.

We had only 6 miles to travel from the Harley shop to the Best Western, and we checked in around three, exhausted. It was a great day, and we're looking forward to the ride tomorrow on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment